Community bakery launch

first_imgAround 300 residents in Dunbar, Scotland, raised nearly £38,000 via a community share offer to open a new high street bakery. Investors in the community-owned co-operative venture, which opened this week, will not receive dividends but a 10% discount on artisan breads made on the premises.The initiative received funding and loans from several public bodies, including the Lottery Awards for Scotland and Tyne Esk Leader. It was begun in 2008, after the town’s last bakery shut when its owners retired.”Community enterprises can be important growth drivers in today’s economic climate,” said Jane Wood, chairperson of ’The Bakery’s’ management committee. “Area restaurants and hotels have expressed interest in taking our products and we are looking to create a sustainable market for them.”last_img read more

Bakels acquires Aromatic

first_imgBakels has acquired Aromatic AB, a Swedish supplier of bakery ingredients, for an undisclosed sum, British Baker can reveal. The deal for the privately-owned family business, which was established in 1936, was signed on Wednesday and will see Aromatic become part of Bakels from 1 January 2012, when it completes. The move is the second acquisition by Bakels in 2011, after the global company purchased Swiss firm Nutribake AG in the first quarter.Aromatic, with its head office and production based in Stockholm, Sweden operates subsidiaries in Germany, Poland, the UK, Hungary, Switzerland, Turkey and the USA. It is also represented in many other markets of the world through an extensive network of experienced agents and distributors.The acquisition is a complementary fit in many markets – both geographically and in terms of product mix –  and allows Bakels and Aromatic to benefit from each other’s knowledge and network, said Bakels, announcing the deal. Armin Ulrich, chief executive and chairman of Bakels, said: “Our ambition is to become a global product leader with high-quality functional products for the bakery ingredients market. With the acquisition of Aromatic, we are adding substantial technical product knowledge to our organisation – particularly emulsified products, where we see excellent opportunities within our worldwide network.” Mats Persson, chief executive of Aromatic, added: “With the owner of Aromatic having decided to sell all shares in the company, the acquisition by Bakels was the best possible scenario to realise future synergies commercially and in manufacturing. The worldwide Bakels network, shared technologies and the wide range of products within Bakels will give many opportunities for Aromatic to grow the business further.”Aromatic will in principle retain its brand and sales organisation, allowing for continuity in serving present customers by the current sales and technical staff. Bakels, also a privately owned group of companies, has been a successful player in the development, production and marketing of bakery ingredients since 1904. In the UK, managing director Ade Abass left the group in September and was replaced on an interim basis by Paul Morrow.last_img read more

Leathams unveils new-look brand

first_imgSpecialist food firm Leathams unveiled its new-look brand image and website at its Leathams Food Spectular event last week, at the London Film Museum.The firm, which develops and supplies foods under four categories – bakery and patisserie; poultry, meats and fish; specialist grocery; and delicatessen – showcased a selection of the thousands of foods it offers.Clive Moxham, director of sales and marketing, said: “As a rapidly growing business with a projected turnover of £62m for 2011/12, we’re committed to investing in our company, our brands, the support to our customers and our people to ensure we remain the innovators in food.”Chris Waters, managing director, added that the firm has been performing very well, with sales up 13% year-on-year.Moxham said the new look and feel of the brand reflected the way in which it does business: “fresh, direct, honest and professional”. The firm has also launched new brochures and marketing materials.Joe Gailani, national account executive, said that, within the bakery sector, some of the trends Leathams has been noticing are the use of chestnuts and also quinoa in breads. He added that sunblush tomatoes and polenta were also popular ingredients for speciality breads and cakes respectively.Another potential growing trend, according to Leathams, is the use of an ingredient called chia, which can be used as an alternative to poppy seeds, and is very high in Omega 3.The business supplies the foodservice, manufacturing (ingredients) and retail markets across the UK and Eire. Customers include Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Pret A Manger, EAT and Prezzo.last_img read more

Indiana State Police hiring two dispatchers

first_img Twitter Indiana State Police hiring two dispatchers Google+ Previous articleLowe’s giving employees Easter Sunday offNext articleSen. Bernie Sanders drops out of the 2020 Presidential race Tommie Lee Pinterest By Tommie Lee – April 8, 2020 0 294 IndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market WhatsApp (“OSP in the lights” by Oregon Department of Transportation, CC BY 2.0) The Indiana State Police are accepting applications for two Regional Dispatcher jobs at the Toll Road Regional Dispatch Center on County Road 17 in Bristol.The facility serves the entire Toll Road and St. Joseph, Elkhart, Marshall and Kosciusko counties.Primary responsibilities of a dispatcher is to receive, record, and accurately dispatch information to police personnel, other law enforcement agencies and other support services through the use of a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) System, Records Management System (RMS), Automatic Vehicle Locator (AVL), Geographic Information System (GIS) and other Regional Dispatch Center resources.A high school diploma or GED equivalent is required as well as the ability to be seated in a confined area for extended periods of time. Two years of public safety communications experience preferred.Pay starts at $38,532 per year. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement plans and accrued time off.The deadline for applications is Friday April 17, 2020.For more information on the position and to apply, go to https://www.in.gov/isp/3627.htm (Indiana State Police-Career Opportunities-Civilian Opportunities). Questions should be directed to Brandon P. Lowe, Personnel Officer for the Indiana State Police Human Resources Division at [email protected] or (317) 232-8238 Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Google+ Facebook Facebooklast_img read more

Nearly 2,400 cases of COVID in Indiana schools

first_imgCoronavirusIndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Market Google+ Twitter By Tommie Lee – October 1, 2020 0 309 Facebook Nearly 2,400 cases of COVID in Indiana schools Pinterest Previous articleElkhart City Hall closes due to positive COVID testsNext articleFood Bank of Northern Indiana releases mobile food distribution schedule, October 5-9 Tommie Lee Facebook Google+ (“old school” by alamosbasement, CC BY 2.0) Indiana’s new school dashboard for COVID-19 information says there are nearly 2400 cases in the state’s school systems.That total includes 250 new cases among students being reported Wednesday evening.State health official Dr. Kristina Box says the state is working with schools to ensure the accuracy of the data, and only about half of the schools submitted information this week.Participation is not mandatory, but that could change if schools are unwilling to work with the state government on tracking the virus. WhatsApp Pinterest WhatsApp Twitterlast_img read more

Plans move forward for Tolson Center renovation

first_img Google+ IndianaLocalNews Twitter Plans move forward for Tolson Center renovation Twitter By Brooklyne Beatty – November 19, 2020 0 359 Facebook WhatsApp (Photo supplied/ABC 57) Plans to improve the Tolson Center are moving forward.Back in March, the City of Elkhart agreed to pay $5-million toward the cost of tearing down, and rebuilding, the center on Benham Avenue.RELATED: Funding moving forward for changes at the Tolson CenterThe project will cost $11-million in total, with the remaining $6-million anticipated to come from the Community Foundation of Elkhart County, private donations and grants, according to The Elkhart Truth.Once the center is rebuilt, it will no longer be operated by the City of Elkhart but by a not-for-profit that will be paid by the city to run it. It’s expected to cost the city $700,000 each year.Construction is expected to begin next year, with committees currently focusing on specific aspects of the project, including buildings, park design, programming and more.The board is looking for volunteers to be part of the committees. Those interested can contact the organization by emailing [email protected]center_img Pinterest Facebook Google+ WhatsApp Pinterest TAGS$11-millionBenham Avenuecity of elkhartConstructionElkhartIndianarenovationTolson Center Previous articlePandemic sparks rise in hunting, fishing licensesNext articleCharlie Brown’s Thanksgiving coming to PBS this weekend Brooklyne Beattylast_img read more

Senator Braun explains why he is calling Joe Biden the President-elect

first_imgIndianaLocalNews WhatsApp Facebook Facebook Twitter Pinterest Senator Braun explains why he is calling Joe Biden the President-elect Previous articleChamber survey: Indiana businesses bullish for 2021 due to vaccineNext articleTeacher pay commission issues $300 million worth of raise recommendations Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. (Photo supplied/Indiana Senate Republcians) He is disappointed like many other Hoosiers, says Indiana’s U-S Senator Mike Braun. But the Republican from Jasper says “we must put aside politics and respect the constitutional process that determines the winner of out Presidential election.” And with that, Braun says the Electoral College has made Democrat Joe Biden the President-elect.Here is the full statement released by Sen. Mike Braun:“As I have said all along, neither the media nor the candidates decide who wins elections, it is our Constitution, and our Constitution clearly states that the Electoral College meets to determine who is the President-elect. Today, the Electoral College has cast their votes and selected Joe Biden as the President-elect. State Legislatures, State Courts, and the United States Supreme Court have not found enough evidence of voter fraud to overturn the results of the Electoral College vote. I, like many Hoosiers, am disappointed by the results of the Electoral College vote, but today marks a watershed moment where we must put aside politics and respect the constitutional process that determines the winner of our Presidential election. However, the results of the Electoral College should not diminish the need to continue a thorough investigation into the irregularities and credible allegations of fraud related to the unprecedented level of mail-in voting in the 2020 election. I will continue to call on State Governments, the Courts, and Congress to investigate the 2020 elections and take actions to restore integrity to the process so the American people can have faith in our democratic institutions.” By Jon Zimney – December 15, 2020 7 579 Pinterest Twitter WhatsApp Google+ Google+last_img read more

Gallup Poll: Nearly 40% of Americans won’t take COVID-19 vaccine

first_img (Photo supplied/Indiana State Department of Healtth) Now that the coronavirus vaccine is here, the next question is how many people will take it.A week before the first vaccine was approved, a Gallup poll found 37-percent of Americans say they won’t take it. Distrust is especially high among minorities.I-U Health senior vice president Tory Castor says the hospital network isn’t requiring its own employees to get vaccinated, and won’t browbeat patients into it. But she says I-U is trying to serve as a reliable source to help people understand the fast-changing information about the virus and the vaccine.House Public Health Chairman Brad Barrett (R-Richmond), a retired surgeon, says the fact doctors and nurses are first in line may give others confidence in the vaccine by the time it’s more widely available.President-elect Joe Biden, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris and three of the four living former presidents plan to get vaccinated publicly to build confidence in the vaccine. Pence and his wife Karen were vaccinated, publicly, on Friday with Surgeon General Jerome Adams. Governor Holcomb has said he’ll get vaccinated as well, but won’t “cut the line.” Indiana Hospital Association president Brian Tabor suggests once the vaccine is more widely available, other government leaders, sports starsm and members of the media could follow suit. WhatsApp Gallup Poll: Nearly 40% of Americans won’t take COVID-19 vaccine Google+ Facebook Twitter Twitter WhatsApp IndianaLocalMichiganNews Pinterest Pinterest Google+ Facebook Previous articleBerrien County’s “Shop With A Cop” goes through changes due to COVID-19Next articleIndiana unemployment figures hold steady from October Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. By Jon Zimney – December 20, 2020 1 399 last_img read more

Indiana Poison Control says 500 children ingested hand sanitizer in 2020

first_img Google+ Pinterest Facebook Twitter WhatsApp CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews Twitter (Jon Zimney/95.3 MNC) Nearly 500 children ate hand sanitizer and had to be treated or their parents advised by the Indiana Poison Center at IU Health in 2020.This may go in the “believe it or not” category, because sanitizer tastes awful and is basically all alcohol. Dr. Blake Froberg, a toxicologist at Riley Children’s Health, says that’s why most kids who would try it just spit it out.He said the appeal is generally not the taste.“You have some of these products that are colored certain ways or have popular cartoon or superhero characters that may make a young child think that there’s something good to get into in those bottles,” he said, adding that because of the pandemic, more sanitizer is available and in homes.So, if the kids do consume enough of it, the effect would essentially be drunkenness.“That could include having some trouble walking, having slurred speech, being confused or overly sleepy and tired.”If that happens, it’s time for a call to the Indiana Poison Center, at 1-800-222-1222.Froberg suggests supervising your kids when they are using sanitizer. Otherwise, keep it away from them. He said it’s also a good idea not to buy the ones that may be colored and look like a flavored drink, or the ones with cartoon characters.When asked if older kids could get some kind of toxic effect from sniffing sanitizer, Froberg said not likely, but he wouldn’t recommend it. WhatsApp Google+ Facebook By Network Indiana – March 12, 2021 1 244 Previous articlePoll asks which high schools in Indiana have the best gymNext articleUK variant of COVID-19 reported in St. Joseph County Network Indiana Indiana Poison Control says 500 children ingested hand sanitizer in 2020 Pinterestlast_img read more

Press release: The Earl and Countess of Wessex visit the Mentally Handicapped Children and Families Project

first_imgMENCAFEP began 30 years ago when Ranji and Chris Stubbs were working helping unemployed young women in Nuwara Eliya to find work. They found that there were many disabled children who were being left neglected because their parents did not know how to care for them. In many cases learning-disabled children were simply being left in isolation. Ranji and Chris decided to start a day-care school and centre where these children would be looked after, and where the unemployed women in the area could work with them. During MENCAFEP’s years of service they have worked with over 8000 children and their families.In addition to providing an education for disabled children, MENCAFEP also works with families and communities to counter stigma around mental disability, and it educates staff from government agencies and civil society in effective care-giving techniques. For The Earl and Countess of Wessex to visit MENCAFEP and meet and talk to the children and young people at our school has given us loads of respect and pride in the MENCAFEP community. The Royal visit to MENCAFEP is a great blessing to all of us here, and an important event in our history. The Earl and Countess of Wessex’s visit creates awareness of what MENCAFEP is doing for our children. It also gives us hope and the strength to build a future for MENCAFEP. The Royal couple spoke with students and their parents to understand how the project is helping children with disabilities integrate into society and reach their full potential.During their visit to the centre in Nuwara Eliya, Their Royal Highnesses heard from founders Ranji and Chris Stubbs how the project, which began in 1988 with 6 children and their families, is now working with over 3000 children and their families today. MENCAFEP is present in 3 districts, Nuwara Eliya, Batticaloa and Killinochchi.Ruwan, a young man who was educated at MENCAFEP and is Chair of the MENCAFEP Children’s and Young Persons Group, said: Thusitha Amarasinha, Secretary of the MENCAFEP Parents Committee said:last_img read more