Maria Sharapova withdraws from St Petersburg with shoulder injuryMaria Sharapova, 31, had been set to play fellow Russian Daria Kasatkina, the third seed in the tournament, in the second round. Kasatkina wins by walkover.advertisement Next Reuters St PetersburgJanuary 30, 2019UPDATED: January 30, 2019 21:49 IST Maria Sharapova withdrew from her second-round match (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSMaria Sharapova was set to play fellow Russian Daria Kasatkina in the second roundSharapova rarely takes part in tournaments in RussiaShe had earned her first WTA win in the country in more than a decade on MondayRussian tennis star Maria Sharapova withdrew from her second-round match at the WTA St Petersburg Ladies Trophy on Wednesday because of a shoulder injury, tournament organisers said.”Sharapova is withdrawing from her match today due to a right shoulder injury,” the WTA St Petersburg Ladies Trophy 2019 wrote on Twitter.Sharapova, 31, had been set to play fellow Russian Daria Kasatkina, the third seed in the tournament, in the second round. Kasatkina wins by walkover, organisers said.Sharapova, a five-time Grand Slam champion who rarely takes part in tournaments in Russia, had earned her first WTA win in the country in more than a decade on Monday by defeating Australia’s Daria Gavrilova in straight sets.Also Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byJepher Nickels Tags :Follow Maria SharapovaFollow St Petersburg Open
FIFA approves expansion of women’s World Cup to 32 teams in 2023FIFA’s approval of the expansion will mean the women’s World Cup will now be on par with the men’s tournament which has had 32 teams since 1998.advertisement Reuters ZurichAugust 1, 2019UPDATED: August 1, 2019 00:21 IST Megan Rapinoe celebrating her team’s victory after the Women’s World Cup final soccer match between U.S. and The Netherlands. (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSThe Women’s World Cup has been expanded from 24 teams to 32 for the 2023 editionFIFA approved the expansion of the tournament on MondayThe expansion means, the Women World Cup will now be on par with the men’s tournamentSoccer’s world governing body FIFA has approved the expansion of the Women’s World Cup from the existing 24 teams to 32 for the 2023 edition and reopened the bidding process for potential hosts.The tournament has steadily increased the number of participating teams from 12 in the first edition in 1991 to 24 teams in the last two editions.”The FIFA Council has unanimously agreed to a proposal to expand the number of teams taking part in the women’s World Cup from 24 to 32, with effect as of the next edition of the tournament in 2023,” it said in a statement.The expansion will mean it will now be on par with the men’s tournament which has had 32 teams since 1998.Nine countries have so far submitted bids including Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa and South Korea.The deadline for submitting bid documents to host the next World Cup was in April, with a host due to be appointed in March 2020 by the FIFA council, but the timeline has now been updated after the expansion.Having been presented with a background document on the expansion, FIFA’s decision-making body voted in favour of adopting the 32-team format and, as a consequence, updating the hosting requirements and the timeline of the bidding process for 2023, it added.FIFA will send a circular next month to the nine member associations that submitted bids as well as any other eligible member association that is interested in hosting the tournament.The new deadline for bid submissions is Dec. 2019 with the hosts expected to be appointed in May next year.advertisementFIFA president Gianni Infantino said the success of the 2019 edition in France, where the United States were crowned world champions for a fourth time, and the incentive for more countries to qualify were key factors in the decision to expand the tournament to 32 teams.The astounding success of this year’s women’s World Cup in France made it very clear that this is the time to keep the momentum going and take concrete steps to foster the growth of women’s football, Infantino said.The expansion reaches far beyond the eight additional participating teams. It means that… dozens more member associations will organise their women’s football programme knowing they have a realistic chance of qualifying.Also See For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat Tags :Follow FIFAFollow FIFA women world cup Next
Five outstanding Nova Scotians, internationally recognized as leaders in their respective fields, have been invested into the Order of Nova Scotia. The announcement was made today, Oct. 12, at the 15th investiture ceremony at Province House in Halifax. “Every year we honour Nova Scotians who have worked tirelessly to advance the quality of life for others and, in turn, make our province a stronger, more prosperous place to live,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “Each member of the Order has demonstrated a wide variety of achievements and has made valuable contributions to our province.” The 2016 Order of Nova Scotia recipients are: — Françoise Elvina Baylis, Halifax: Françoise Baylis is a professor in the Faculty of Medicine at Dalhousie University and is the Canada research chair in bioethics and philosophy. She works with people outside the medical profession to make complex issues such as stem cell research and new reproductive technologies understandable and accessible to the public. Her belief is that citizens belong in the discussion and decision making in the scientific advances that affect our lives — Freeman Douglas Knockwood, Indian Brook: Elder Doug Knockwood is a loved and respected elder, who has helped his community reclaim its language and culture. He uses his experience of survival and redemption, as well as Mi’kmaq spiritual teachings to empower others and help them overcome addictions — Arthur Bruce McDonald, originally from Sydney: Arthur McDonald is a teacher, collaborator and Nobel Prize winning astrophysicist. Mr. McDonald received many honours for his science, but he is valued by his colleagues for his vision, leadership and persistence. Throughout his career, he has supervised and mentored the research of more than 100 graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and research associates — James Leonard Morrow, Avonport, Kings County: As artistic director of Mermaid Theatre, Mr. Morrow uses puppets to take Nova Scotia stories to the world. He does it all from performing to carving to stage production and has received acclaim around the world — Donald R. Reid, Joggins, Cumberland County: Known locally as the Keeper of the Cliffs, Donald Reid has gathered an amazing collection of fossils which now form the heart of the Joggins Fossil Centre. His collection, 70 years in the making, catalogues the world’s most complete fossil record of terrestrial life of the Coal Age dating back 300 million years. His work was essential in securing the Joggins Fossil Cliffs designation as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage Site The Order of Nova Scotia Advisory Council selects recipients for the honour from nominations received from fellow Nova Scotians. The Order of Nova Scotia was established in 2001 and is the highest honour bestowed by the province. Recipients have the right to use the initials O.N.S. after their names.