Tag: Micha

Ghomeshi breaks silence with brief Facebook post

A wide range of opinions are being expressed when it comes to abuse allegations against CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi, from the father of Rehtaeh Parsons to former Deputy Prime Minister and Hamilton MP Sheila Copps.But before we tell you more a warning — this story may not be suitable for all viewers — as it contains detailed allegations of sexual abuse and violence.Another woman has come forward with allegations against Ghomeshi, bringing the total now to nine. Reva Seth — a lawyer and writer — has detailed her experience in a blog on the Huffington Post Canada website.Seth starts off by saying she ultimately decided to share her experience because it shows a pattern that has certainly escalated since she knew Ghomeshi. She says she first met him back in 2002 when she was 26-years old and about to start a job at Toronto city hall. It was a random encounter at a grocery store which turned into a few casual hangouts with Ghomeshi.Seth then describes the incident which ‘changed everything’. She writes, “We had a drink, we smoked some pot and we hung out chatting. A while later we started kissing. Suddenly, it was like he became a different person. He was super angry, almost frenzied and disassociated.”“Jian had his hands around my throat, had pulled down my pants and was aggressively and violently digitally penetrating me. I remember he gave me some weird line about how he couldn’t tell if I was actually attracted to him or not, and somehow this was meant to explain his behaviour.”She goes on to say that she didn’t do anything because “It didn’t seem like there was anything to do. I hadn’t been raped, I had no interest in seeing him again or engaging the police in my life. I just wanted to continue on with my life as it was. And even if I had wanted to do something, as a lawyer, I was well aware that the scenario was just a ‘he said, she said’ situation.”These latest allegations follow a number of others detailed in a Toronto Star article on Thursday. One woman says Ghomeshi threw her against a wall and demanded that she perform oral sex. Another says he grabbed her hair — and punched her head three times.Reva Seth says she debated for quite some time before coming forward, but she felt that she was in the position to do so without facing ramifications in terms of her family and marriage. And also because having this conversation can help build a public understanding of the complexity around these issues, which there certainly is.In a Facebook post earlier this week, Ghomeshi said he did nothing wrong. He said he would engage in rough sex but it was always consensual. He said the CBC fired him for his sexual behaviour and then launched a $55 million dollar lawsuit against the CBC.Ghomeshi turned to social media again Thursday in the wake of the latest women coming forward with allegations of violence, sexual abuse and harassment. On Facebook, he posted: “I want to thank you for your support and assure you that I intend to meet these allegations directly. I don’t intend to discuss this matter any further with the media.” This afternoon, crisis communications firm Navigator and the PR agency Rock-it Promotions both dropped Ghomeshi as a client.As new details emerge about the disturbing allegations against Ghomeshi, the public’s reaction is growing. And in some cases dominating coversations on social media.Trailer park boys actress Lucy Decoutere became the first woman to go public with allegations of abusive behavior by Ghomeshi.Speaking today, Decoutere says she’s going on record to help the other women who say they are dealing with even more serious accusations: “He did take me by the throat and press me against the wall, and took me, and he did slap me across the face a couple of times and that took me by surprise because that’s not something I’ve had happen to me before.”Decoutere was speaking Thursday morning with CBC’s ‘The Current’ describing an incident she says took place in 2003. She alleges — without warning or consent — Jian Ghomeshi choked her to the point she couldn’t breath before slapping her hard on the side of the head.Decoutere: “It’s made me think about where women sit in society and it’s not a comfortable sofa at the moment.”Decoutere is one of 8 women who say they were abused by the former CBC host. But the only one to agree to be identified.Lenore Lukasik-Foss, Director, Sexual Assault Centre Hamilton and Area: “We have to stop denying that sexual violence is as prevalent as it is.”Lukasik-Foss says some reaction to this case has been worrisome, as it blames the victim: “Only 4 to 7 percent of survivors go to police ever. So the fact that someone doesn’t go to police doesn’t mean they aren’t being truthful about what they have experienced.”Today, Premier Wynne was asked to weigh in on the case during her visit to Beijing: “First of all, in terms of the specifics around Jian I’m not going to comment on that case that situation. There are many allegations and counter allegations and counter allegations so I’m not going to weigh in on that. If you’re asking me whether I have a comment on assault wherever that would happen if there is an assault then obviously I’m completely unsupportive and reject any notion that that’s acceptable wherever assault takes place. So those are two separate issues for me.”Former Deputy Prime Minister Sheila Copps is under fire today for comments she made about Ghomeshi. She wrote on Twitter: “@jianghomeshi the state (and the CBC) have no place in the bedrooms of the nation. good luck and stand tall!” The date on this Twitter post reads October 27th – that was Monday. The tweet started a thread.And Rehtaeh Parsons father was among those who replied writing: “The state has a place in bedrooms if what is happening in them is a sex crime. Rehtaeh Parsons was raped in a bedroom.”In a response to another Twitter user, Copps expands on her first post writing “If a crime occurred, lay charges. Otherwise, private consensual acts are not grounds for dismissal. What about due process?”Today, Sheila Copps posted this: “My tweets were in no way intended to condone any violence against women. Perpetrators should be brought to justice, without fear or favor.Lukasik-Foss says there are many reasons victims of sexual assault would not go to police — such as fear of retaliation for being blamed.CBC says it is hiring a third-party company to conduct an independent investigation in the wake of the allegations against Jian Ghomeshi.A memo from the public broadcaster says the move follows ‘accounts of impropriety’ towards CBC employees, and that counselors are being made available to staff. Reports from CBC and the Toronto Star have outlined allegations from women who said they were hit and choked by Ghomeshi. CBC calls the reports ‘extremely disturbing and of great concern.’ read more

Indias innovation and energy underpin the success of the global diamond industry

first_imgA new survey highlights rapid growth of diamond consumption in India’s middle class. India is quickly developing a diamond consumer market to complement its pre-eminence as a diamond polishing centre, Stephen Lussier, Executive Vice President of Marketing for The De Beers Group of companies, said in an address to the World Diamond Conference in New Delhi last month.Announcing the results of De Beers’ recent Consumer Diamond Purchasing Survey in India, Lussier noted that the acquisition rate for diamonds in India’s middle class has risen sharply from 2% in 2002, to 9% in 2014. He also stressed the favourable environment for further diamond consumption growth in India, noting that the country’s number of middle class households is forecast to grow by a compound annual rate of 12% over the next decade.The Indian market “serves as a microcosm” for trends in other markets, Lussier said – pointing to projected global demand growth for diamonds, which “continue to captivate consumers the world over”. However, Lussier, who is also CEO of Forevermark, cautioned that increased competition from other luxury products means the diamond industry must capitalise on opportunities in areas such as online marketing and branding if it is to maximise its potential.Underlining De Beers’ commitment to India, Lussier explained that it has invested nearly $10 million in a state-of-the-art inscription and grading operation in Surat, which has the initial capacity to inscribe 400,000 diamonds – dramatically improving the service for its Indian-based Forevermark partners.Lussier showed how Forevermark, the diamond brand from The De Beers Group, has positioned itself successfully, noting: “Our promise of diamonds that are beautiful, rare and responsibly sourced is driven by consumer insight and backed-up by a commitment to ensure our operations live up to our promise”.In closing, Lussier emphasised his confidence for the future of diamonds in India, stating that the Indian diamond industry and government can work together to “lead diamonds into a period of unprecedented growth”.last_img read more