Tag: 上海香草419

The Walking Deads Christian Serratos Slaps Ads On Electric Car Charging Stations

first_imgFrom buying all-electric cars to installing solar panels on their roofs, environmentalists across the country are taking steps to save the planet — but some of them are dragging their feet when it comes to taking that essential step: going vegan.So PETA and Twilight and The Walking Dead star Christian Serratos, who is a longtime vegetarian and PETA supporter, have purchased ads that will be placed on electric car charging stations, targeting the very people who want to make a difference and urging them to go all the way.The new ads bluntly proclaim, “Producing two strips of bacon generates three times the amount of greenhouse gases that driving 1 mile in a Prius does. Save the world—go vegan.” The ads will be up in time for Earth Day.“Environmentalists who have switched to all-electric cars may be shocked to discover that the hybrids they deemed not ‘green’ enough are still far ‘greener’ than bacon,” Serratos says. “PETA’s message for Earth Day and every day is that the most effective way to help the environment — and animals — is to go vegetarian.”According to the United Nations, raising animals for food is “a top contributor to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global.” A staggering 51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by the Worldwatch Institute. And of course, the meat industry is responsible for the daily suffering and terrifying deaths of billions of animals every year.Serratos is part of a growing list of celebrities — including Bones star Emily Deschanel, Nikita and Divergent star Maggie Q, and Social Distortion frontman Mike Ness — who have teamed up with PETA to point out that the meat industry has a devastating impact on the planet.last_img read more

Trump dairy farmers broaden attacks on Liberals as speedy metal tariffs urged

first_imgOTTAWA – The Canada-U.S. trade war bled into farm fields on Monday as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government faced dual attacks from Canadian dairy farmers, and President Donald Trump.The Dairy Farmers of Canada branded as “troubling” and “worrisome” comments Trudeau made on NBC’s Meet the Press that Canada was considering allowing U.S. dairy greater access to the Canadian market as part of the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement.Trump, meanwhile, broadened his trade tirades on Twitter into agriculture, writing: “Canada has all sorts of trade barriers on our Agricultural products. Not acceptable!”The attacks came as the government is already reeling from Trump’s imposition last week of steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada, part the president’s broader tariff attack on Mexico and Europe.Trudeau also faced pressure Monday to speed up Canada’s tariff retaliation on U.S. steel and aluminum imports, while it consults on imposing levies on other American consumer goods.Speaking on the NBC Sunday news show, Trudeau called the tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum “insulting and unacceptable.”Trudeau was also asked about possible concessions the U.S. is seeking in the NAFTA talks.“I think they want a better deal on their auto sector from Mexico and I think they want more access on certain agricultural products like dairy to Canada,” the prime minister said.Asked if he was willing to give that, Trudeau replied: “We were moving towards flexibility in those areas that I thought was very, very promising.” But he said the U.S. insistence on a five-year sunset clause was a deal breaker.Pierre Lampron, president of the Dairy Farmers of Canada, sent Trudeau a letter on Monday, demanding a meeting and questioning his support for the dairy industry.“These comments are deeply troubling for our dairy farmers, as you and your government’s representatives have repeatedly stated that you support the supply management system and our sector,” Lampron wrote.“Your comments, in addition to political meetings between your staff and President Trump’s advisers, for which there has been little information provided to us, are quite worrisome.”Trudeau’s office declined direct comment on the letter and instead referred to comments Monday in question period, in which Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay once again defended Canada’s supply management system.“The prime minister, myself, the minister of foreign affairs, cabinet ministers and caucus, and, indeed, the trade negotiators of NAFTA have clearly indicated the Canadian direction,” MacAulay said.“The Liberal government is the government that put supply management in place and it is the Liberal government that will protect supply management.”Canada has already granted some access to its dairy markets in its other big free trade deals with the European Union and the re-booted Trans-Pacific Partnership, the 11-country Pacific Rim pact that does not include the U.S.Trudeau also faced calls Monday to speed up the imposition of retaliatory tariffs on U.S. steel and aluminum, but he rebuffed them.Trudeau said he wants to respect the government’s 30-day consultation period on its proposed $16.6-billion tariff package, retaliation for the Trump administration’s decision to impose 25 per cent import duties on steel and 10 per cent on aluminum.The federal government wants to consult Canadians before enacting its response, which targets not only U.S. steel and aluminum, but also a wide variety of goods from orange juice to playing cards to toilet paper.Joseph Galimberti, the president of the Canadian Steel Producers Association, said he urged Trudeau in a meeting Monday to immediately impose the retaliatory tariffs on metals while it consults on the other products.Galimberti said American steel continues to flow into Canada tariff-free while Canadian steel now faces tariffs.“This is a very live situation,” Galimberti told reporters after the meeting, add that companies are “experiencing damages and interruptions today, supply chains are going to change going forward.“This is something that the government is going to need to pay attention to.”Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer also urged Trudeau to accelerate the retaliation.“The American tariffs went into effect immediately and Canadian shipments of steel are already being turned back from the border,” said Scheer. “Why is the prime minister waiting three weeks to impose these counter-measures specifically on steel and aluminum when the U.S. tariffs came into effect right away?”Trudeau replied he wants to follow through on the consultations while trying to persuade the U.S. to drop the tariffs.“One of the fundamental realities is that nobody wins in trade wars,” he said.“We continue to believe that by working thoughtfully and firmly with the American administration we are going to be able to move forward in a positive direction.”last_img read more

Acquisitions insolvencies cited as drilling company count tumbles by 40

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – A research report by AltaCorp Capital shows the number of companies actively drilling in Canada has declined by 40 percent since the oil price crash of late 2014.The analysis cites industry data which shows only 26 drilling contractors have been working so far in 2019, 17 fewer than observed in 2014.It says consolidation is the biggest reason companies have disappeared, with seven companies holding about 17 percent of market share being purchased over the period, including CanElson Drilling in 2015, Savanna Drilling in 2017 and Trinidad Drilling in 2018. It says insolvency removed four companies, although the market share held by those firms was just one percent. Two companies which together held about one percent of market share in 2014 are simply inactive, they have rigs but aren’t operating them.One company left the Canadian market and the fate of four other missing names isn’t known. There is just one new entrant on the 2019 list.The report says the Canadian drilling market would benefit from more consolidation given recent declines in drilling activity but says acquisitions are unlikely given high debt levels in the larger players and the relatively unattractive assets available.“Ultimately, we expect that rig transfers out of Canada, smaller one-off asset sales and gradual atrophy of older and less relevant rigs, will be the primary drivers of further Canadian industry concentration over the near-to-mid-term,” the report concludes.last_img read more

Argo Roads South Peace reminding drivers to slow down due to snow

first_imgFor more information on #shiftintowinter; CLICK HERE DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – Argo Road Maintenence Road Contractor is reminding drivers to slow down as the snow has arrived.Tweeted on Thursday, September 26th, 2019, Argo posted, slow down and adjust your driving speeds according to the weather conditions.Argo’s twitter feed has posted shoulder gravelling has started along the John Hart Hwy (BCHwy 97S) near Fabric Road today and tomorrow. Traffic will be single lane and to expect minor delays.last_img

Further terror attack on India will be extremely problematic US warns Pak

first_imgWashington: The US has warned Pakistan that another terror attack on India will prove to be “extremely problematic” as it asked Islamabad to take more “concrete and sustained” actions to rein in terror groups including the JeM and the LeT.Tensions between India and Pakistan escalated after a suicide bomber of Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) killed 40 CRPF personnel in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district in February 14.India launched a counter-terror operation in Balakot. The next day, Pakistan Air Force retaliated and downed a MiG-21 in an aerial combat and captured its pilot, who was handed over to India on March 1. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsAddressing reporters at the White House on Wednesday, a senior administration official said: “We need to see Pakistan taking concrete and sustained action to rein in the terrorist groups, mainly the Jaish-e-Mohammed and the Lashkar-e-Taiba in order to ensure that we don’t have re-escalation (of tensions) in the region”.”If there’s any additional terrorist attack without Pakistan having made a sustained, sincere effort against these groups, it would be extremely problematic for Pakistan and it would cause re-escalation of tensions, which is dangerous for both countries,” he said on the condition of anonymity. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayAsked about the steps being taken by Pakistan in the aftermath of the Balakot air strike by Indian fighter jets, the official said that the US and the international community needed to see “irreversible and sustained” actions against the terror groups.”It’s early to make a full assessment,” he said.In the recent days, the official said Pakistan has taken some “initial” actions. They have frozen the assets of some terrorist groups and made some arrests. They have taken administrative control of some of the JeM facilities, he said. “But we clearly need to see more. We need to see irreversible action because in the past, what we’ve seen is they made some arrests and then a few months later, they released these individuals. The terrorist leaders are sometimes still allowed to travel around the country, hold rallies,” the official said.Reiterating that the US is looking for “irreversible action”, he said America is working with its international partners to increase pressure on Pakistan.”Because it has been too long that these groups have been able to operate,” he said.Observing that Pakistan has economic concerns as well, the official said the Financial Action Tasks Force (FATF) is one area which demonstrates the need for them to take these actions against terror groups.”Otherwise, they’re at risk within the system and the FATF to be grey-listed,” the official said.Pakistan needs to decide if it wants to be viewed as a responsible international player and have access to all the financial mechanisms that are available or is it going to continue to fail to take the steps necessary against these terrorist groups and see itself further isolated. “The choice is Pakistan’s,” the senior administration official asserted.While the situation between the two south Asian neighbours have de-escalated, the two armies are still on high alert and that concerns the US, the official said.”So, we realize that if there, God forbid, would be another terrorist attack that you could quickly see the escalation in the situation once again. So that’s why, we’re making clear that any additional military action by either side runs an unacceptably high risk, for both countries and for the region,” the official said.The Trump administration, he said, has taken sort of a “zero tolerance policy” on the issue of safe havens to terrorists.”The terror terrorist attack on February 14th on India was a demonstration that Pakistan’s continuing provision of sanctuary for any terrorist group is not acceptable,” the official said.During the height of the crisis — February 26-28 — the US was in continuous contact with Indian and Pakistani officials, both on the ground in New Delhi and Islamabad.”They were working on the phones continuously and were deeply engaged in seeking to deescalate what was a very dangerous moment in India-Pakistan relations,” he said.The United States has also reached out to influential countries to have them help deescalate the situation, the senior administration official said.Some of these countries are China, Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, the United Kingdom, the European Union, Japan and Australia.last_img read more

Alcohol intake in India up 38 this decade

first_imgIndia’s annual alcohol intake increased by 38 per cent between 2010 and 2017, according to a study published Wednesday which found the total volume of alcohol consumed globally per year has risen by 70 per cent since 1990. Published in The Lancet journal, the study of 189 countries’ alcohol intake between 1990-2017 and estimated intake up to 2030 suggests that the world is not on track to achieve targets against harmful alcohol use. Between 2010 and 2017, alcohol consumption in India increased by 38 per cent – from 4.3 to 5.9 litres per adult per year, said researchers from TU Dresden in Germany. Over the same timescale, consumption increased slightly in the US (9.3-9.8 litres) and in China (7.1-7.4 litres), they said. Also Read – The Puja carnivalAs a result of increased alcohol consumption and population growth, the total volume of alcohol consumed globally per year has increased by 70 per cent — from 20,999 million litres in 1990 to 35,676 million litres in 2017. Intake is growing in low- and middle-income countries, while the total volume of alcohol consumed in high-income countries has remained stable. The estimates suggest that by 2030 half of all adults will drink alcohol, and almost a quarter (23 per cent) will binge drink at least once a month, researchers said. Also Read – Wave City brings special offers this NavratraAlcohol is a major risk factor for disease, and is causally linked to over 200 diseases, in particular non-communicable diseases and injuries, they said. “Before 1990, most alcohol was consumed in high-income countries, with the highest use levels recorded in Europe,” said study author Jakob Manthey, from TU Dresden. “However, this pattern has changed substantially, with large reductions across Eastern Europe and vast increases in several middle-income countries such as China, India, and Vietnam. “This trend is forecast to continue up to 2030 when Europe is no longer predicted to have the highest level of alcohol use,” said Manthey. He said the World Health Organization (WHO)’s aim of reducing the harmful use of alcohol by 10 per cent by 2025 will not be reached globally. Instead, alcohol use will remain one of the leading risk factors for the burden of disease for the foreseeable future, and its impact will probably increase relative to other risk factors. Over the same period, it also measured prevalence of people who did not drink for their whole lives or were current drinkers (ie, drank alcohol at least once a year) using surveys for 149 countries, and binge drinkers using surveys from 118 countries. In 2017, the lowest alcohol intakes were in North African and Middle Eastern countries (typically less than one litre per adult per year), while the highest intakes were in Central and Eastern European countries (in some cases more than 12 litres per adult per year). Globally, alcohol consumption is set to increase from 5.9 litres pure alcohol a year per adult in 1990 to 7.6 litres in 2030. However, intake varied regionally. Between 2010-2017, consumption increased by 34 per cent in southeast Asia, with increases in India, Vietnam and Myanmar.last_img read more